The Rouse Company Building- Whole Foods
Corporate Headquarters Adaptive Re-use
Feasibility Analysis; Development Management Consultant
Assist ownership in determining the highest and best of use of this deteriorating, antiquated and virtually empty, but also iconic, Frank Gehry building.
Assist ownership with retail lease negotiations.
Minimize the risk at every phase of this complex 150,000m square foot renovation.
- One of 12 projects that Garver has worked on since 2010 on behalf of the Howard Hughes Corporation
- We performed a Feasibility Analysis that allowed ownership to systematically consider and evaluate alternative scenarios.
- The analysis suggested that a mixed-use space, including offices and retail, would enable the owners to retain the integrity of the Gehry building, while also maximizing profitability.
- Garver was then responsible for minimizing the risk involved in this complex renovation at every juncture. Work performed included:
- Integral participant in the lease negotiations with Whole Foods Markets and other businesses.
- Identified and retained the best design and construction team for this high-profile project.
- Hired and managed the design, construction and project closeout.
- Successful project fully leased to credit tenants, which positions owners to realize a considerable profit upon a disposition.
- Leases signed for all three tenant spaces early in the development cycle.
- The core and shell renovation delivered early and below budget to first key tenant Whole Foods in spite of significant challenges during construction.
- The building is fully stabilized and the owners are successfully marketing it.
Garver was an integral part of our success at bringing Whole Foods to the adaptive re-use of the former Rouse Company headquarters. Peter helped us figure out how best to re-position this building. He understands both the big-picture business points as well as the technical details, and pivots from one to the other …